Leelou Blogs

Friday, January 13, 2012

Tweeking Pintrest

Well the first week is finally over!  We have made it to our three day weekend for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  We did some really fun activities this week, many of which were Pintrest ideas that I tweeked just a little.
First we did a snowman glyph with our big buddies. I got the idea from a pin I had seen.  I made up my own glyph so that the kids and their big buddies had things to work on together.


We meet with our big buddies every Wednesday. I try to make the activities fun interactive things that the 3rd graders have to help my kids to do but not do it for them. Here is how ours turned out. I think they look awesome!

Here is the glyph that we used as well. I drew out my own snowman which I think added my own character to it.
Snowman GLYPH

1. If your big buddy is a boy color the legs stripped
    If you big buddy is a girl color the legs polka-dotted
2. If your little buddy is a boy color the mittens with 2 colors
    If you little buddy is a girl color the mittens with 3 colors
3.  If your ages added together are an even number color the boots green
     If your ages added together are an odd number color the boots yellow
4. If you and your buddy agree about snow being fun or not put 3 buttons on the tummy.
     If you and your buddy disagree about snow being fun or not put 4 buttons on the tummy.

Second we did a snowman measurement art project.  The idea came from two different ideas. The first of which was a snow paint idea where you mix laundry detergent and water and have the kids paint. I let my kids do open painting and adding the snowman parts so that their creativity has a chance to grow.  Then we measured how tall our snowmen were.  The original ideas was using only unifix cubes.


I decided to have my kids measure by unifix cubes, bears and dominos.  This way we could compare the measurement of the nonstandard units.  I was seriously impressed with how my kids were doing with this. They were having each of the items touch each other and were counting them correctly.  Given the fact that this is the first time we have really done anything like this it was cool to see them be so successful.




No comments:

Post a Comment